Friday, April 6, 2012

Worm Day! Freebie!

  
I thought I would share something fun and science related that I do each year.  
What, you ask?

Well, maybe not the real ones, but we certainly get up close and personal!
I usually get a parent to volunteer and bring earthworms for us to use during our 'Worm Day' fun!
I have also been known to dig them up out of my yard and bring them myself.
I created a fun freebie for worm day...or any study of earthworms!
Find your freebie here on TPT!

Here are some pictures of our fun, which includes special snack, graphing, and more!
Our snack: "Dirt and Worms" pudding with crumbled chocolate cookies and gummy worms...
tiny sandwiches with slivers of cooked hotdogs (that look like worms)... 
and mealy- worm cookies (oatmeal squares with gummy worms)

I also always let my kids choose to have their picture taken with a real worm 
(to look as if they are going to eat it!)  The kids have a blast!  
(me, not so much because I have to pick up the worms!!)


 And of course, I have the gummy version for those of us who are not into the whole, 
'touching a real worm thing'!

I will admit, a couple of years ago I was doing this activity of taking their pictures and as a student held up the wiggly worm for me to snap a picture, she dropped the worm...my heart stopped in that instant.  Her mouth was WIDE open and all I could see happening was her dropping that worm in her mouth and me having to make that call. ('umm....yes, Ms. So and So, Little Susie ate a worm today...sorry')   Fortunately, the worm just went on the floor and I learned a valuable lesson...have them hold the worm in front of the mouth, it still looks good for the picture and no one is in danger of eating a worm!!

In case you missed it, I am guest posting over at Little Miss Kindergarten here (freebies over there, too!!)

AND, I have a great Creative Teaching Press Giveaway going on right now here...it ends tonight!!


2 comments:

  1. I don't know whether to say ewww or cool! :)
    Love it!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absoultely love your worm day! I am going to do this in May in my class. I have always spent time composting with worms. This will be a great addition to my unit. I love your packet and great food ideas. So creative. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips